Saturday, December 26, 2009

2009: The Year of Lists - Tina Roselle

Tina appeared on my radar a while back with some comments here and there. I finally followed the hyperlinked trail to her blog, A Ravenous Horde. She's done what I would have liked to do with this blog which was to make it a full-fledged local music blog. Between previews and reviews of local shows, Tina fits in regular commentary on current music trends as well as some free MP3's. It's good stuff. Go read it now.

This is the part where I give you a disclaimer. I do not support blogging over lunch. You'll get crumbs between all the keys. That and I do not agree that Tina half-asses her blogging. Oh, and I'm not sold on the Andrew Bird record.

As a lunchtime blogger, I’m usually throwing a daily post up while throwing a sandwich down. This half-assedness extends, unfortunately, to my album listening—I never buy whole albums these days, which is why people who continue to take the time to purchase vinyl impress me. I am not so ambitious, cool, or artistically supportive. While lacking time, attention, and money, I also happen to love music. This doesn’t mean I know how to write about it, but I do my best. I started A Ravenous Horde (http://hungryhorde.blogspot.com/) in September after living here in Columbia for a year and stealing mp3s unabashedly in my time away from editorial servitude at the university. Blogging is a way for me to satisfy my mix tape and writing obsessions and learn a little something about people making music now.

If I had purchased 10 albums in 2009, they would probably have been these:

  1. Grizzly Bear, Veckatimest
  2. Le Loup, Family
  3. The Antlers, Hospice
  4. We Were Promised Jetpacks, These Four Walls
  5. Portland Cello Project, The Thao and Justin Power Sessions
  6. Great Lake Swimmers, Lost Channels
  7. Andrew Bird, Noble Beast
  8. Kings of Convenience, Declaration of Dependence
  9. Blind Pilot, 3 Rounds and a Sound
  10. Dirty Projectors, Bitte Orca

I was hoping Rogue Wave had released something in 2009, but no dice. For the record, making lists makes me cranky. The second I make one, I wish I could add or remove something. I’m already slightly dissatisfied with this one, which is why I’m wrapping it up before I change my mind again.

Brief bio: Tina Roselle, thirtysomething educational editor/media designer, former Chicagoan, wannabe cellist/runner/cyclist about town.

No comments: