Sunday, December 27, 2009

2009: The Year of Lists - Best Singles

Here's my list of the year's best songs. I won't say much about any of these songs and just let the music speak for itself. Also, I put them in no order as this list is even more fluid than an albums list. Not all of these tracks were released as singles, but they are all good, taking up residence in my head at various times this year.

Animal Collective - "My Girls"

Animal Collective "My Girls" from Chad von Nau on Vimeo.



Matt & Kim - "Lessons Learned"

Matt and Kim - "LESSONS LEARNED" (OFFICIAL VIDEO) from FVMMO FILMS on Vimeo.



Phoenix - "Lizstomania" / "1901"


Phoenix - 1901 - A Take Away Show from La Blogotheque on Vimeo.



Pomplamoose - "Single Ladies" (Beyonce' cover)


The Thermals - "Now We Can See"

The Thermals "Now We Can See" (music video) from What Rabbit on Vimeo.



Wavves - "No Hope Kids"

Wavves "No Hope Kids" from Pete Ohs on Vimeo.



St. Vincent - "Actor out of Work"

St. Vincent "Actor Out of Work" from Logan Hefflefinger on Vimeo.



Antony and the Johnsons - "Aeon"


Yo La Tengo - "Here to Fall"


White Rabbits - "Percussion Gun"

White Rabbits "Percussion Gun" Music Video from White Rabbits on Vimeo.



Dirty Projectors & David Byrne - "Knotty Pine" (Sorry about the video. All the other choices were low-quality live performances with the intro cut out.)


Atlas Sound - "Walkabout"


Bon Iver - "Blood Bank"


Japandroids - "Young Hearts Spark Fire"


Girls - "Lust for Life"

Girls - Lust for Life from Myles Cooper on Vimeo.



Grizzly Bear - "Two Weeks"

Grizzly Bear - Two Weeks from Suspicious Sounds on Vimeo.



Dirty Projectors - "Stillness Is the Move"


Camera Obscura - "French Navy"

Camera Obscura "French Navy" from Left | Right Hand on Vimeo.



The Flaming Lips - "Convinced of the Hex"

Convinced of The Hex / Flaming lips from BECH on Vimeo.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I prefer "Nothing to Hide" from the Yo La Tengo album, since I'm a sucker for well-crafted, short pop songs.

Unknown said...

coming from a "townie" that has never heard the white rabbits... jesus, those guys rock.

Katie said...

The Dirty Projectors are quickly replacing Neutral Milk Hotel for me...as in, I just don't get it and I never will but I want to get it...if that makes sense.