Thursday, September 03, 2009

One Year Ago...

One year ago, R and I became antsy. Lucia (known as "Cletus the Fetus" at the time) was officially one day late. Little did we know she would eventually arrive eight days later, but you know what they say about hindsight.

Over the final week of Lucia Month, I will probably look back at what I was posting last year.

On September 3, 2008, I wrote the following in a preview list for some fall events here in COMO. Anyway...

Yes, we're still waiting. The kid is now officially late, which is ironic since my last name is Early (no joke). We wait and try various strategies to move this birth along, but all we end up doing is waiting. Of course, I will be certain to let you all know once little Bristol or Levi arrives...I kid, I kid.
What a time capsule this blog can be. We were waiting for our first child in the midst of Sarah Palin and her brood posing as the punchline to endless jokes. Good times.

Of course, everything else on that list has come and gone. The Roots 'N Blues 'N BBQ Festival will return for its third installment. I didn't go last year and will probably avoid it again this year. Broken Social Scene was OK, but I'm glad I got to see them. I also saw Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks for a pretty kick-ass show. The beer tastings continue and this year (September 13th), the CBE takes its first field trip. There's still room in the van, so sign up.

College football was just getting underway. I correctly proclaimed Mizzou's inflated status as well as correctly predicted their win total. However, my trepidation over Ohio State's upcoming clash with USC was realized as the Trojans trounced my Buckeyes. Hopefully this year's game will go better, but I have a sick feeling in my stomach about it and no new baby to ease my pain. I guess a one-year-old will have to do.

Twilight Festival is still gone and no one's blinked an eye. However, our beloved mayor (Why? I'm not sure.) is calling it quits after something like 43 terms. (There's some hyperbole for ya' KT.) Oh and speaking of politics, Obama did win the election, but things are rocky right now. It's a good thing he still has time to clean up this mess.

So, my point is that a lot has happened since we found ourselves wondering whether or not Lucia...er...I mean Cletus would arrive.

1 comment:

Katie said...

A-ha! Thanks for the shout-out. Weirdly, enough, the Ellen show I'm watching right now is a repeat of the one that was the day before the November election. Wow, that craziness really happened last year and Levi Johnston is going to be in Playgirl.