Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Revinylization Project: Iron and Wine, White Rabbits, and Cursive




















Iron & Wine - Around the Well

M
usic
There are few bands that one could envision would put out as compelling a rarities album as Iron and Wine. Lost in recent albums is the back porch feel of Sam Beam's whisper and faint slide guitar. Still, to this day, one of the most profound shows I've seen is Beam, his sister, and a guy switching between slide guitar and banjo play as hushed a show as one can imagine. You could hear a pin drop that night. That sound returns on this collection, including Death Cab and Flaming Lips covers. This record is essential Iron & Wine listening as far as I'm concerned.

Insert
The insert is a large fold-out with album artwork on the outside and lyrics on the inside.

Sleeve

The artwork features a painting of nearly as many records as one finds in the sleeve. It's both aesthetically

Extras
The free MP3 was included.

Record
This whopping LP includes three records of music. However, the third disc is one-sided, with the other side featuring a cool etching of more album artwork. I love it when bands do this.

whY?
Because you should know what this "band" sounded like before they embraced calypso or Hotel California.


















White Rabbits - It's Frightening

M
usic
I liked the White Rabbits first album. Sure, it sounded like every other Brooklyn band not featuring a turntable, but it also featured good, solid songwriting. This album sees the Rabbits developing into their own sound while holding onto quality songcraft.

Insert
The insert is simple. One side is a photo of a solitary drum in front of a dark background. The reverse side has the liner notes with "Britt Daniels" in big letters so that you don't forget that indie's King Midas produced this fine record.

Sleeve

The cover is a fine black-and-white blur of a drummer slamming away in front of an old piano. The black-and-white with simple white and red text remind me so much of a Spoon record.

Extras
There was no download (unless I missed it), but there was a CD with all the songs. That's something for the car. It's sort of odd how now the CD is the novelty. Things are coming full circle.

Also, I'm not sure this was intentional, but a 7" of
"Percussion Gun" b/w the non-album track "Foxhunting" was included. I used to love singles. It's sort of cool Insound sends me one every once in a while.

Record
Classic, simple, black vinyl with simple label. I'm not sure if it's 180 gram, but it's solid.

whY?
If you're reading this blog, you're most likely connected to COMO in some way. The White Rabbits are from here and deserve some support. Besides that, they've recorded a really balanced and enjoyable record.


















Cursive - Mama, I'm Swollen

M
usic
I honestly haven't listened to Cursive in a long, long time. When I saw them play with Bald Eagle not too long ago, I didn't really listen to them then either. I think it's the fact that their crowds are so young. Hell, they were young eight years ago when I saw them before that.

Anyway, I forget how great this band can be. Sure, one could simplify their sound as "emo" or whatever, but it's way more layered, textured than that. Plus, Tim Kasher strings together themes of pain and loss better than most. The instrumentation is is varied and diverse without losing that rock edge. I think this album is a grower. I'll have to give it time before I give a final verdict, but I bet that it will rank high by year's end.

Insert
This album is loaded with extras and loads of stuff just falling from the sleeve. I'll start with the insert which is a giant book attached to the sleeve. The pages are hand-written (or scribbled) lyrics and liner notes. One can see why the kids love this band.

Sleeve

The cover is a dark and doctored photo of the moon over water. Coffee stains, some red paint, and other alterations give it an eerie feel.


















Extras

This album came with extras galore. I received both the digital download as well as a CD copy. That's the best of all worlds. Again, the CD is the novelty here. The download card is a credit card-like picture of the band on one side and info on the other.

Record
Red. The vinyl is red with some black marbled features. I love colored vinyl and this was a nice surprise.

whY?
Well, Kasher is as a good a songsmith as there is in indie circles. A band that's been around, creating quality music as long as Cursive has deserves your dollar. Also, this album is easily the best packaged release that I've come across this year.

_____________________________

Since I ordered the Sunset Rubdown LP, I also received an MP3 of the album. I will reserve my opinion for after I have the entire package in my hands. However, as with most of the Wolf Parade/Handsome Furs/Frog Eyes/Sunset Rubdown material (sans Apologies to the Queen Mary), they're growers not show-ers.

No comments: