Friday, December 12, 2008

The Beer I Drank Today: Rejewvenator

I've felt for a while that I needed a new feature on this blog. Since I have taken on the hobby of part-time beer snob, I thought I should create a feature for the beers I try. I am not a particularly good beer writer, but I enjoy it nonetheless. So, without further ado, here's my first entry in "The Beer I Drank Today" series. Enjoy.

The beer I drank today:
He'Brew's Rejewvenator

Style:
American Strong Ale

Color: a super dark red, almost brown

Head/Lacing:
Strangely, the head was almost non-existent. There was a malty head as I poured, but it disappeared before I could round up my camera. (I even poured the second glass fast so that I could prove there was at least some head. Of course, there was virtually no lacing.


Aroma: It smells like a Fig Newton. This may have something to do with the "Year of the Fig" proclamation on the label.

Flavor: Well, I get some hops and figs right off. Then there's the...what is that? Oh, it's flat Coca-Cola. And maybe grape and rye, too.

Context: At the end of a very, very long week, I needed to break open a beer. I have had very few beers since Thanksgiving and needed to wind down. So, 5:00 rolled around, R was baking Xmas cookies with friends (one of them Jewish), and I had just put the little one down for a nap. I needed a craft beer and decided to pull this from my stash. Now, I could finish watching the Flaming Lips movie Christmas on Mars.

Would I recommend this beer to you?: Sure. I've enjoyed every beer (Jewbelation 11, RIPA)I've had from He'Brew, plus all their Coney Island offerings. This one is not as good as the others, but I'd drink it again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Let's hear it for the Jews!

Unknown said...

Hey there. This is Zak from Shmaltz Brewing Company, the makers of HE'BREW Beer. First off, thanks so much for the writeup of Rejewvenator. Secondly, thanks so much for making us your FIRST beer writeup. I'm glad you liked the beer. It's nothing if not unique. It's actually a half doppelbock (German lager), half Belgian-inspired dubbel (Belgian ale), infused with fig juice. All of that craziness gives it a "fruity", floral character (not to mention the actual fruit). There's nothing more appropriate than Christmas cookies and HE'BREW Beer. L'Chaim!!