Friday, March 02, 2007

This Town Is Miserable. True or False?


Finally, the coolest weekend of the year in Columbia, MO is upon us! True/False is off and running, and I for one am finally not so miserable.

My first film is at 5:30 at the Ragtag. Nimrod Nation is yet another documentary about the transcendence of high school basketball. However, unlike Hoop Dreams and last year's opening night film Heart of the Game, this story takes in the middle of nowhere, AKA Michigan's upper peninsula. This feels like a great way to get started.


Later on at the Missouri Theater, I'm catching In the Shadow of the Moon. This nonfiction piece is supposed to shed new light on man's first steps on the moon...or at least the first guy from Ohio to step on the moon. The topic doesn't have me completely psyched, but I'm hopeful that the T/F folks chose a quality flick to open the festival.

Then, before I fall asleep from completing my parent/teacher conferences and watching two documentaries, R and I will take in Running Stumbled at the Ragtag. Five words: sex, drugs, legacy, New Orleans (these technically go together). I'm not sure if this is supposed to be fictional or what. Whatever, it sounds dark as hell.

I'll continue to post through the weekend with reviews and updates of my schedule. I have five films on the slate for tomorrow, so we'll see...

No comments: