Wednesday, December 24, 2008

#8 of 2008: Deerhunter - Microcastle/Weird Era Cont.


Thirty-Two Words: A dirty shoe-gaze in the same vein as No Age and the Strokes, Deerhunter lives up to the hype that made me avoid them for so, so long with the masterful Microcastle./The bonus disc, Weird Era Cont., on the other hand is loaded with brilliance but it is rough around the edges and feels unfinished. Of course, this disc helped me "get" Deerhunter.

The Moment of Truth: I was still figuring out what I thought about this Deerhunter stuff on my way to the grocery with a crying baby in the back. I turned up the volume and she stopped crying. That's when I started to pay attention to Deerhunter.

Killer to Filler Ratio: 6:6/8:5

2 comments:

ks said...

I avoided them early on due to "local hype" mixed with "blog hype." i thought that was all it was But then I saw them live a couple of yrs ago...I couldn't stop paying attention to the set. It's not the best album of the yr, but they're a far better band than I orig. gave them credit for.

Raymond Cummings said...

Hey, what's up?

I liked that Atlas Sound album a lot better, but MC/WEC is a great release, too.

Here's my take on it:

http://www.citypaper.com/music/story.asp?id=16946

Drop me a line at some point if you have time (I know parenthood eats it up like Skittles) - gracefulasp AT hotmail

best,
ray