Monday, December 07, 2009

2009: The Year of Lists - Nathan

One of the best aspects of this blogging thing is the opportunity to meet some nice people in and around COMO. Sure, there have been assholes too, but I really appreciate those who can read the blog and take it for what it's worth. They enjoy some of what I have to say and agree to disagree at other times. They either read the blog politely before moving on or join the discussion.

Take Nathan for instance. I'm on his RSS feed, but he rarely comments. He responded to my call for submissions and despite being rather selective in his musical purchases this year, he felt unable to make a quality year-end list of albums. To his credit, Nathan did the next-best-thing and identified the twenty best tracks he's heard. As you will see, he knows of which he speaks.

Who is this mysterious contributor? He would only share this: "
I'm a 28 year old bank examiner who lives in Columbia. I'm a graduate of MU, but hopefully am not quite as deluded as some of the Mizzou fans you've referenced in past posts." That and the list below is all I know about Nathan, but he is certainly a friend of lim.

As far as my thoughts on the music, I love this list. Sure, it has a couple of repeats, but can anyone honestly claim that these songs suck? I didn't think so. I am really digging the Girls album
Album lately. So, their presence is noted and appreciated. "My Girls" is maybe my song of the year, but #4 is a respectable slot. And can anyone deny the hotness of Neko Case or the two sexiest couples of indie rock (Handsome Furs, Matt & Kim)? Seriously, play all these tracks in their intended order, enjoy, and thank Nathan for his contribution.

(No disclaimer this time as Nathan didn't add any commentary. He let the music speak for itself.)

1. Girls - "Lust for Life"

2. Atlas Sound - "Sheila"

3. Harlem - "South of France"


4. Animal Collective -
"My Girls"

5. Titus Andronicus - "Titus Andronicus"

6. Phoenix - "1901"


7. Girls - "Hellhole Ratrace"

8. Kid Cudi - "Pursuit of Happiness"

9. Handsome Furs - "I'm Confused"

10. Grizzly Bear - "Two Weeks"

11. Atlas Sound - "Walkabout"

12. Deer Tick - "Easy"

13. Daniel Johnston - "Freedom"

14. Phoenix - "Lisztomania"

15. Neko Case - "People Gotta Lot of Nerve"

16. White Rabbits - "Percussion Gun"

17. St. Vincent - "The Strangers"

18. A.C. Newman - "There Are Maybe Ten or Twelve"

19. Matt and Kim - "Lessons Learned"

20. Handsome Furs - "All We Want, Baby, Is Everything"


No comments: