Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Taking a Breath/Stuff to Do

I had to take a breath for a second from this whole Lucia-everyday-thing I've been doing. It's actually kind of a metaphor for my life right now. Every minute, hour, and day is dedicated to that little girl. Sometimes I have to step back and take a breath. Like now.

There are some things you should be doing this week. They are as follows...

Tomorrow night (Wednesday), Chuck Berry (yes, that Chuck Berry) is playing a free show outside the Note on Ninth Street. The guitar legend usually plays a week in STL, but for this show he's coming to us. I don't know if I can sneak out to catch any of his set, but you should.

Crazy expensive Super Circle passes are for sale for the 2010 True/False film festival. Basically, you fork over $500 and get a few amenities. $200 of the price is a donation to the festival. I'd suggest waiting for the other passes to become available, but that's me.

Barry at the 'Tag will be tapping a cask of Schlafly Dry-Hopped APA Friday evening. There will be specials from about 5 on. The cask will be tapped around 6 or 6:30. The beer from the cask is free, so get there early, buy a drink to hold you while you wait, and load up on free APA.

The Foundry Field Recordings, Netherfriends, and Malone will be at Mojo's on Friday. The Foundry have a new album coming out one of these days. Their label mates Netherfriends return from their home in Chicago to have a go at a smaller COMO stage (they played the Note the last time in town). Also, locals Malone play some dandy alt.country. It's Mojo's, so it will be late.

That's about it for this week, but there's plenty more this fall.

On October 3rd, several bands from über indie local label Yards & Gods will take over Eastside Tavern for the night. I'm told that it will be "a fairly complete lineup unless someone from some band gets struck by lightening." For more info, you can check out the nice piece in the Vox on the label here.

I'm considering several other shows for the fall. Andrew Bird/St. Vincent and Grizzly Bear/Beach House play consecutive nights at the Note.
The Decemberists play an outside show in October. Plus, an interesting show featuring Gogol Bordello plays as well. I have decisions to make before any of those shows sell out (which I doubt will happen before those nights). So, check the poll to the right and let me know which shows, if any, I should attend.

Also, if you are a COMO-ian, fill me in on what you've got going on in the next few weeks.

1 comment:

jmenter said...

I highly recommend you see Andrew Bird. I will be there with my throng.