Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Beer I Drank Today: Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)


The beer I drank Today: Southern Tier Oat

Style:
Imperial Oatmeal Stout

Color: black

Head/Lacing:
tan head, decent lacing

Aroma: roasty malt, alcohol

Flavor: a little chocolate and coffee, syrupy sweetness

Context: We had friends over for dinner. They brought me a variety of New Glarus beers, which one can only purchase in Wisconsin. So, I was grateful. I shared the last of my Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA and my Oaked Arrogant Bastard from Stone. To finish the night off, I served this beer.

Would I recommend this beer to you? Yes. Although it's not as chocolaty as some of the other stouts I've been sampling as of late, it's still a mighty fine stout. The 11% ABV was a lot at the end of the night, but it made for a good nightcap/dessert beer.

1 comment:

Juliet said...

I don't know that I ever commented on this feature in particular, but it's really great. I'm a big fan of craft beer and have been getting my dad into it as well so it's always nice to get some new ideas of things to try (if they're available in our area of course).