Tuesday, December 30, 2008

#2B of 2008: Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

Before I even begin this review, I should make it clear that I am a liar...or just a flip-flopper. I can't decide. Originally, I had said that I would not include Bon Iver solely based on the fact that this album was originally released last year, but I have changed my mind upon seeing so many year-end lists including this great album. Had I not already committed to my #1 so long ago, this very well could have been in the top spot.


Thirty-Two Words: This album is what you get when you mix equal parts heartbreak, seclusion, and talent while recording in Wisconsin (as opposed to the deep south): a beautifully crafted work of pain and loss. (I lied again. That was thirty-three words, not thirty-two.)

The Moment of Truth: Track 3, "Skinny Love."

Killer to Filler Ratio: 7:2

No comments: