Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Anniversary


Today is R's and my three-year wedding anniversary.

Neither one of us ever intended to get married, but it looked like a good idea when we started talking about moving and buying homes and even having kids one day. We were and still are uneasy with the whole institution and its current hetero-sexist state. It was a practical, not political decision in a lot of ways.

Of course, that practical decision wasn't without love or passion. I feel an immense amount of love for the smartest, most lovely, and caring person I've ever known. I believe she feels the same way about me.

We actually make more of an effort to recognize the night we met, September 27th. It was the night we met for a blind date after meeting online. I accidentally stood her up the night before due to my inability to keep a date straight. She forgave me and brought along two good friends. A couple of years later, those friends gave the toast at our wedding.

Some other good friends provided photography and music for the wedding. This year, we'll salute their union on that date. It will be a good day to celebrate love and friendship for sure.

Our wedding was short and somewhat nontraditional. The ceremony was finished off with a shot of vodka and we were off. The night was one big party.

Now, three years later, we live here in Misery. We're happy with our lives, but this place has been difficult. Luckily, I had R to get me through and she had me.

In about eight weeks, our love will take the form of a tiny package...a tiny, wet, stinky, screaming package. And I can't think of anyone I would rather raise my kid with than R.

So, for our third anniversary, instead of leather, R will get this blog post and some sushi. We'll finish the night by finishing the third season of Weeds.

What do I get?

I get her in my life.

Happy 3rd, R.

10 comments:

ATR said...

Happy recognition of your third year of non-politically motivated commitment. It doesn't roll off the tongue, but, hey....

Enjoy your sushi, kids!

Eight weeks to delivery? Golly, time does pass quickly.

Huey said...

Congrats on finding someone you are so obviously in love with. I remember the ceremony and following party. Good times, my friend....good times. You two are very good for one another and it is such a luxury to have someone to ease the "misery you live in" isn't it? I'm sure you are a luxury to her as well. It is nice to read this and see how you guys seem to be focused on the stuff that matters.

Mike said...

Happy anniversary. My personal favorite part of being married is the tax breaks/lower insurance rates.

Also, if you're reading this comment, Lovey, I like you, too.

GE said...

Congrats. And you're on the home stretch. How's R. feeling?

comoprozac said...

Thank you all for the well-wishes. R's feeling OK. She doesn't get around so well anymore and deals with a lot of uncomfortableness. She's actually pretty done with pregnancy and wants to get on with it.

I have some choice words for the baby harvesting that goes on in this town coming soon.

comoprozac said...

Interesting that all dudes commented on this post.

sarah said...

Heya, here's your token girl comment...Many, many (slightly late) congratulations to you both on your anniversary *and* your soon-to-be-here little one! Also, much sympathy to your wife, enduring a summer pregnancy. I went through two of those (my third was born in January, thankfully), and it was uncomfortable to say the least. I hope she continues to do well, and has an easy time.
Again, very best wishes to you both!

ks said...

Congrats on 3 years! We're headed to our 4th anniv. in October, and I've loved every minute of it. Congrats on the upcoming bebe, too. It's creeping up quickly, huh? Speaking of which, i'm headed off for a friends' baby shower this weekend. Have a great weekend!

comoprozac said...

Thanks ladies.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! It sounds like something's working right.

I'm sad to hear R's ache-y. If it's anything like my sister's last pregnancy, I can't send out enough healing mental vibes.

And Pizza, you're pretty cool. You've got good taste in beer and cheeses.