Monday, February 11, 2008

What does this mean?

Well, I know what it means. Pee on the stick (if you're female). Two blue lines appear. You're preggers (as they say).

This is actually a photo of our pregnancy test from just after Christmas. Yes, for those of you who don't know, R is pregnant. Or, as some say, we are pregnant.

We have carried this secret for almost three months now with a few exceptions. (I thought my family should know before I blogged about it.) It never really dawned on me just what was going on. Sure, R had some nausea and was too tired to stand up front at the show Saturday, but nothing was screaming, "YOU'LL BE A DAD SOON, IDIOT!"

What really hit me was the heartbeat I heard today. We've been very cautious not to get too wrapped up in all the baby stuff, often referring to it as a fetus and such. R and I don't want to tell anyone the sex (once we know) so as to avoid all the stupid pink and/or blue gendered crap people give you. (Also, I have been labeled "cynical" in case you're just tuning in.) But when I heard that unexpected heartbeat, something changed.

I'm not saying that I'm all gushy over the whole baby thing, but it has hit me that I'll be a dad come the beginning of September. Things will change. I won't sleep for one reason or another for like 18 years. I won't be able to blog as much or buy as many records.

Don't worry. The same old miserable me will show up to blog about all things Misery. There will just be more space used for R's nine months of hell, labor (all the gory details), and some stories about my attempts to prove myself hip to my kid. Please tune in.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Can we just give you lots of pink crap for your kid, regardless? If it's a boy, then you'll be breaking the gender norms. If it's a girl--hey! free stuff!

Anyway, it doesn't matter. You'll get tons of gendered stuff and once poop gets over everything, you won't care one bit about what color s/he's wearing.

Mike said...

Congrats!

I agree w/ Jenny. Pink is so in. The color, not so much the singer.

Anonymous said...

Ah, but you will get to buy albums. There is a whole kiddy music scene made up of former indy-rockers (remember the Del Fuegos?) who have since retired the drugs and Anarchy in the UK, etc, in order to bring "good" music to the hipster crowd's kids. Oh we have a pantheon of artists to recommend, but by far the best stuff is by They Might Be Giants because, let's face it, they've been making music for 12-year-olds for decades now. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Jen Wingard

comoprozac said...

Wait. Pink isn't in? Damn!

I am aware of the movement in kids music. I periodically read Zooglobble.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, hipster breeders!

If I had known sooner, I would have clued you into the Target sale this past week where all the kind of baby shit that people don't think to buy for you (baby towels & washcloths, uv car screens, an extra car seat, a zillion onezies) on sale at Target for upwards of 80% off.

But they do that several times a yeah.

Oh and Happy Birthday!

comoprozac said...

Thanks, Lovey.

Now I understand the whole "Coupon Whore" thing.

Anonymous said...

Damn, Zac - you made me cry! I am so excited to be a grandmother, and to read about the heartbeat makes it all the more thrilling. And don't worry, after the baby is born, people will still buy you pink or blue stuff (this happened in the old days before you knew the sex of the baby until after it was born) - it's unavoidable! By the way, I still have your doll, as well as your Archie Griffin football jersey. And to comment on not sleeping for the next 18 years - make that 33+ years!
Love you!!!

Anonymous said...

I am a whore. Way to tell your mom.

comoprozac said...

No! That's not what I meant! The emphasis was on the coupon part. I swear.

Juliet said...

Wow--congrats! Glad to hear another cool little person will be coming into the world!

Anonymous said...

Let me chime in here, being the "preggers" R and all, there will not be posts about any unsavory pregnancy or labor details, thankyouverymuch!

Anonymous said...

I don't think "lovey" is following the train of thought here! Or am I missing something?

ATR said...

Congratulations (again) to you both, but, why did R pee on her toothbrush?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you both!! How exciting!

Anonymous said...

@atr: I was laughing at that for days. Days.