Friday, April 20, 2007

Waiting: Where's the Love?

In case you were unaware, I am in the process of searching for a new job. I've interviewed four times so far and have yet to get that call. I expected one school to call me yesterday. Of course, I don't really want that job and the $11k pay-cut that goes with it, but I'd at least like a chance to turn it down. The district that can pay me the same as I'm making now is really dragging its feet. So, I wait.

Waiting is the worst and best part of any experience. In the case of a job search, it sucks. You're waiting for people you don't know to make a decision based on variables that are unknown to you versus competition you've never met. I'm currently not waiting for any job offers that I really want. I am waiting for two school districts to get on the ball and call me for some interviews. Otherwise, I don't know what I'm going to do next year. Waiting for something that you don't want or a chance to be turned down does not help one's situational-depression.

Waiting can be exciting. However, most of the waiting I've done that's been fun has to do with music. Nothing substantial or life-altering, just music. One good release has come out after another, but it doesn't help my situation any.

Feist's The Reminder comes out any day now (or May 1st). She's getting a lot of press and attention all over the internets. In fact, I'm listening to All Songs Considered (The Podcast), but they are playing the wrong song. The DJ claimed to play a portion of "My Moon My Man", but it was obviously not the correct track. Listen to her MySpace page or check my own post.

I'm waiting for May Day for another reason. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah are coming to the Blue Note. It's the first time I've seen them, and it's the first time in a long time that I'm really anticipating a rock show to be great. It seems the more shows you attend, the less remarkable they are. Hopefully this one doesn't disappoint.

So, here's to waiting. And waiting...and waiting...possibly for a less-random post.
(Painting: "Waiting for the End of Time" by Rene Kita)

No comments: